Thursday, December 13

Pushing The Business Plan Forward

Separate your sketch book from your business, from your essay classes, from your labels and posters. Do it.

This semester we wrote business plans, half of us thought it was pointless at this point in our development, half of us thought it would be a great tool to move into the future. I was part of the latter, and I spent 30 hours (albeit a last minute 30 hours), writing a 30 page business plan for myself; I got an A+. This really got me thinking seriously about business, because so many artists these days are 'starving', and they might not be if they had an established plan and really knew what they were doing. It might also help that I watch Dragon's Den religiously.



So what I've done is so simple that you'll slap your head against the keyboard; I bought a pretty little book from Dollarama for $1.50 that was exactly what I wanted, and it is EXCLUSIVELY for workshop and studio ideas. Too many ideas for different things get scribbled and mixed up in note and sketch books, which tends to make all the information unfindable.

What this did for me?

When I wrote my business plan I had 3 workshop ideas that I subsequently forgot, in my dedicated book I already have 25 ideas, one per page for clarity.

I also sectioned off part of my little book to record all the kiln workshops in Canada and the cost/ time/ products for each class they offer. (That's also a great way to get ideas for your own workshops, hint hint.)

Seriously, do it.

No comments: