Monday, January 28

Craft and Baking!

One of my pseudo-New-Years-Revolutions was to make my own unhealthy food. That is, rather than buying it in the store, where I'm not 100% sure what's in it, but I am sure there's preservatives and way too much sugar, I should save money and up my baking skills by making it myself! Another added bonus is that all good habits increase your will power and other future habits (seriously, even making your bed every morning will have a positive affect on your life).


So I've started making banana chocolate chip muffins, because they're my absolute favorite. This is my second batch, the first one I did all on my own, and they are awesome. Even their sad Christmas wrappers are awesome too.



I'm starting to think this is part of the reason why the adage, "Do what you love" can be so true. By making time for the things that I love - like baked goods and a clean room - I form good habits (including healthy ones), I create a work-life balance, and I start to better define my core character and values - which is really important to life. If you take a look back over this paragraph, all of these things are also really important to my goal of being an artist.

Does anybody else have hobbies or habits that aren't directly craft-related, but play an important part on your life as an artist?


[Also because these were really delicious, here's the tweaked recipe thus far;
Preheat 350°
Mix:
1 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
In a 2nd bowl Mix:
1 egg
4 bananas (mushed)
1/3 cup of butter (softened)
Add dry to wet.
Add as many chocolate chips as looks right.
Bake for 25 min.
]

2 comments:

LittleQuack said...

Why the salt? It wasn't in the original recipe..

Nicole Nasvytis said...

There's no way I would have remembered the recipe we did off by heart!

I grabbed one randomly off the internet, I'm not sure why it called for salt to be honest. Since these muffins I have dropped the salt, switched to non-salted butter, and lessened the sugar content (because the bananas and chocolate chips are plenty on their own!). So far so good! Except last time I accidentally put in two eggs o:!